Internet Explorer 11 or later is part of the technical requirements from Microsoft's side for add-ins to work on Windows machines. Below is a full list of all technical requirements from Microsoft's side:
Client requirements: Windows desktop and tablet
The following software is required for developing an Office Add-in for the supported Office desktop clients or web clients that run on Windows-based desktop, laptop, or tablet devices:
For Windows x86 and x64 desktops, and tablets such as Surface Pro:
- The 32- or 64-bit version of Office 2013 or a later version, running on Windows 7 or a later version.
- Excel 2013, Outlook 2013, PowerPoint 2013, Project Professional 2013, Project 2013 SP1, Word 2013, or a later version of the Office client, if you are testing or running an Office Add-in specifically for one of these Office desktop clients. Office desktop clients can be installed on premises or via Click-to-Run on the client computer.
If you have a valid Office 365 subscription and you do not have access to Office 2013, you can download it via one the following CDN links:
Internet Explorer 11 or later, which must be installed but doesn't have to be the default browser. To support Office Add-ins, the Office client that acts as host uses browser components that are part of Internet Explorer 11 or later.
Note: Internet Explorer's Enhanced Security Configuration (ESC) must be turned off for Office Web Add-ins to work. If you are using a Windows Server computer as your client when developing add-ins, note that ESC is turned on by default in Windows Server.
One of the following as the default browser: Internet Explorer 11 or later, or the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari (Mac OS).
Client requirements: OS X desktop
Outlook for Mac, which is distributed as part of Office 365, supports Outlook add-ins. Running Outlook add-ins on Outlook for Mac has the same requirements as Outlook for Mac itself: the operating system must be at least OS X v10.10 "Yosemite". Because Outlook for Mac uses WebKit as a layout engine to render the add-in pages, there is no additional browser dependency.
The following are the minimum client versions of Office for Mac that support Office Add-ins:
- Word for Mac version 15.18 (160109)
- Excel for Mac version 15.19 (160206)
- PowerPoint for Mac version 15.24 (160614)